Why become a Master Food Preserver Volunteer in Yolo County
- It's a great way to contribute to our community. Every year, we will perform thousands of hours of volunteer service to help keep the Yolo community safe and healthy.
- As a Master Food Preserver, you get to meet and work with a group of passionate, Yolo-area food enthusiasts.
- Being a Master Food Preserver is an excellent way to learn and stay up-to-date on the latest preserving methods and issues in food safety.
The Yolo Training Program
Master Food Preserver trainees in Yolo County participate in a thorough program of instruction in home food preservation. The classes cover the following topics:
- Food safety
- Canning with boiling water, steam, and pressure methods
- Dehydrating fruits and vegetables
- Freezing foods
The program is rigorous: There are six classes with hands-on labs to learn the food preservation techniques, and outside study in addition to class time. Weekly written tests and a final examination prepare the trainees to begin their first year.
Upcoming Master Food Preserver Training
Interested in becoming a UCCE Master Food Preserver volunteer in Yolo County? Enter your contact information on our Master Food Preserver Training Interest form and we will contact you about our next training.